Have you ever just been driving down the road and somebody's name pops in your head and you wonder where they are today and what they've been doing since the last time you saw them? Well, for about two weeks, that would happen to me. I'd be driving home after work and the name of my friend, Diane Etress, would just pop in my head. I'd say a little prayer for her and ask God to watch over her. I haven't seen her in so many years, I can't really remember the last time I saw her. We were so very close as teenagers. I practically lived at her house. When she got her new car, we drove around downtown the first night and timed it just right where the odometer would roll to 100 miles when we drove in her yard. Her dad woke us up from a sound sleep the next morning screaming and wanting to know why we drove out of town the night before. We told him we just drove up and down Harrison Avenue all night, but he wouldn't believe us until we got the policeman who we all knew and saw at Hardee's to call him and tell him that he had seen us several times driving up and down Harrison Avenue.
Diane was with me when I met Vance at the Power Mile Service Station on Hwy 231 after he got out of the Army. I was driving my mother's Studebaker station wagon and we stopped for gas. She wanted to date Vance because he had a Corvette, but he ended up being more interested in me than her. He met us later that night at Hardee's by Bay High; and while I talked to the guy I had met from the skating rink who was teaching me to waltz on skates, she was talking to Vance. I walked up just as she was giving him her phone number and he asked for mine, too. I gave it to him, he called the next day and the rest is history. Three months later, I was her Maid of Honor and a week later, she was my Matron of Honor.
But, back to Diane. As I said, we lost touch. Today, I got a call from the front desk that Diane Etress was there to see me. I practically ran over to see her. We hugged and she said "I lost Larry (her husband)last Friday and when you weren't at the funeral, I realized you didn't know." I never read a paper and in her grief she had forgotten my last name so she couldn't call. She just took a chance that I still worked at Gulf Power. We talked for several minutes and exchanged phone numbers. Her husband died of cancer. I felt so bad that I hadn't been there for her when she needed me the most. But, you see, God knew that she needed my prayers and He put her on my heart for two weeks. What an awesome God we serve.
Lately, He has been bringing more and more people back into my life that I have lost touch with. It has been such a blessing to me to reconnect with people from my past. We are able to pray for each other's needs, share in the joy of grandchildren and just get to know one another all over again. I thank Him every day for the many blessings He has bestowed on me. If you are reading this, I thank Him for you. I may have never met you in person, but you are a blessing in my life. And one day, I will meet you in heaven if Jesus Christ is your Savior. If you don't know Him, just ask Him into your heart today. He loves you so much and wants to have a personal relationship with you.
Please pray for Diane and her two daughters, and the rest of the family as they go through this grieving period. May God Bless and keep you.........
Friday, September 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment