Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Slow Moving Monday


Gallivanting Photographer Couldn't believe how slow things were today at work. I didn't have a single ARMS job, so nobody was calling me on the radio all day. I was able to get away from my desk for a few minutes.

Was showing off a picture that I took Saturday at the beach. It is some sort of sea creature, but we just don't know what it is. Thought it was a manatee, until I checked out a picture of one. Nope, the head is all wrong. It kinda looks like an alligator (they do get into salt water - I checked and found pictures of one as far out as an oil rig in the Gulf) but there are no ridges on the back. It's not a shark or dolphin cause there are no dorsal fins. It's not an eel. Whale maybe? I haven't checked out all the types of whales. It was swimming about 15-20 yards off the shoreline, parallel to shore, going very slow. It was underwater, then would come up a second and go back down. We estimated it to be between 10 and 15 feet long. I took the picture from the 3rd floor off our balcony. I'd say it was about 200-300 yards away from us. I used a 300mm lens on my Canon digital camera. Tabitha was the first one to spot it. I wish I'd had binoculars, but all I had was my camera. (I'm going to invest in a good set of binoculars.) If you have any ideas, please share.

No comments: