Friday, April 23, 2010

Reconnecting With Old Friends

I am so thankful that my daughter-in-law showed me how to set up a Facebook account. Thank you, Michelle. It has been the most rewarding thing I have done in a long time. I have been able to reconnect with friends from elementary and middle school, youth from my old church and family that I wouldn't be able to keep up with otherwise.

Through Facebook, I have become friends of other friends and have made new friends. These new friends may live hundreds of miles away, but we still have a lot in common. Most of us love the Lord Jesus with all our hearts. We can pray for each other, share what God is doing in our lives, and rejoice in the birth of new babies.

In our prayer group (a group of my old classmates), we have seen many miracles happen. God is answering our prayers and we are growing stronger in our faith and in our friendships. We are truly sisters in Christ.

Through Facebook, we get to share pictures of our children and grandchildren. I love seeing the pictures of the youth that used to be in our church youth group. Most of them are now parents and they share pictures of their children. These young people have become such wonderful parents. What a blessing that is to be able to witness and hear the stories of their children.

I have family that I love dearly, but we don't get together except at weddings and funerals. But, through Facebook, I can keep up with what they are doing and even get to know their children better. That just blesses my heart.

I have a son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren that live 100 miles away. Facebook keeps me in touch with their daily activities. They don't get to come visit very often because it would mean staying in a hotel. We have dogs that they are allergic to. Since I have had so many Meniere's Disease attacks, my husband doesn't want me to drive that far; so I don't get to see them very often. It could be very dangerous if I had an attack while driving at 70 mph. When the attacks hit, there is no warning. I get very dizzy and cannot open my eyes because the world is spinning and I start vomiting. If I had an attack going that fast, it could be my last day on this earth. My husband has circulation problems in his legs and they hurt him too bad to drive that far. If I go, I have to get someone to drive me and it's hard to find somebody that has the time. So, Facebook has been the best way to keep in touch. I feel like I'm a part of their every day life.

So, thank you, Michelle, for enlarging my territory and allowing me to reconnect with old friends and make new ones. And for allowing me to be a part of your life. I am blessed to have you as my daughter by marriage. You are truly a daughter of my heart and I love you very much.

3 comments:

Carol said...

What a sweet post! I too love that my daughter hooked me up with Facebook! It has been a true blessing to reconnect with so many of my childhood friends (some 40-50 years later!)
The miracles we've seen on our "prayer chain" is another sweet reminder of WHAT AN AWESOME GOD WE SERVE! May God Bless you Pat and your family ...today...and everyday!

Love,
Carol D. Erb

michellenotdawn said...

Awww, thanks Mom! You are an awesome Mother-in-Love and I am blessed to be a part of your family!

Anonymous said...

Facebook...is the bomb!!!