Sunday, February 08, 2009

My Angels Were Watching Over Me



My day started out pretty normal. Woke up when Vance kissed me goodbye as he was on his way to play golf. I rolled over for about 30 more minutes, then got up. Made myself some coffee, cleaned the kitchen, washed a load of clothes, checked my email, then got ready to go out and shoot some pictures.

My first stop was at Seldom Rest Antiques to give Cindee the pictures I had taken last Saturday. Ran into a friend of mine from church. We all talked for awhile, then I went to Sonic and got a corndog and sweet tea. Ate the corndog and decided to go down to the marina and see of I could spot the osprey and the bald eagle that Olga's husband has spotted down there.

When I got past Tally Ho, a police car was blocking the road, so I had to detour. I drove through Bay High's parking lot and proceeded south on Magnolia. Every time I came to an intersection, I would look right to see if Harrison was blocked and it was. I did not realize there was a Mardi Gras parade today. I don't keep up with stuff like that. I never read the newspaper. There's never any good news, so why read it? When I got to Magnolia and 6th St. the light turned red. I stopped and waited. It turned green and I looked right again as I took my foot off the brake and the next thing I knew, I saw a blur on my left and then there was a jolt and I saw a silver car spinning to the right of me. He had run the red light and I had hit him in the back passenger door. I glanced up at the light and it turned from yellow to red as I went under it. I stopped in the middle of the intersection and just sat there not believing what had just happened. Of course, the police were there in a matter of minutes since they had the streets blocked off for the parade. I tried to call Vance, but couldn't get him to answer before a policeman walked up to my door and asked if I was okay. He then told me to drive the car into the gas station lot. I did. I got out and looked at my car. Just the bumper and grill were messed up. The other car had spun and just missed hitting a power pole head-on. The damage from my car wasn't much, but when he hit the curb, it messed up the undercarriage (at least, that's what he said). Before I walked back across the street, a woman came by and said "I'm not surprised." I asked her what she meant. She said "Those cabs just fly through here all the time. I'm not surprised one of them got into a wreck. Serves him right." She was reeking of alcohol. I told her I was the one who was in the other vehicle and she said "Oh, baby, I'm so sorry. Are you alright?" I told her I was and she walked off.

I walked back across the road to see if everybody was alright. The car I hit was a taxi cab carrying a man and woman. I talked to them and they both said they were okay. They said they were from Tennessee down here looking for jobs, but hadn't had any luck so they were going back to Tennessee. I pray they find work somewhere. I was so shook up, I failed to get names of anybody, but the police took all that info anyway.

The cab driver, a nice black man wearing a "Jesus is Awesome" ball cap said I pulled out in front of him. I know that I saw the light turn green. The policeman asked if I was distracted in any way. Was I talking on my cell phone? I told him no, that the light turned green, I looked to the right and the next thing I knew, I had been hit. He said he wasn't going to give me a ticket, because it was my word against the other driver, but he wanted me to know that another witness had said I pulled out in front of him. Unless that other driver was looking at the light when it happened, I don't see how she could say I pulled out in front of him. I'm just so thankful that nobody was hurt. If I had pulled out when the light was red, he would have t-boned me. That could have been really bad. I just know that my angels were watching over me. I think the car will be fine, just some minor damage. The old girl is tough! I let them tow the car because I was afraid to drive it in case something was wrong.

I finally got in touch with Vance. He was just leaving Sunny Hills, so I had to wait over an hour for him to pick me up. He was just glad I wasn't hurt. We went by the place where they took the car, but it was locked up. We'll have to wait until Monday to go take a look at it. I did take a picture. Of course, I had my cameras with me. I was going to the marina to try to take pictures after all. Also, my motto is "Never leave home without them." You never know when you might run across something to photograph.

I posted on Facebook and Dot called to check on me. She prayed for me. She called Olga and told her that it was all Ron's fault. :>) So, Olga called. We laughed about that and she said next time she'd take me on my photo jaunts. That would be nice. I don't like going alone anyway.

I guess I better go to bed. I'll have to borrow Vance's truck to go to church tomorrow. I'll probably stay home Monday since I won't have a vehicle to drive. I don't want to spend the money to rent one.

Goodnight and God bless...........I am so thankful to Him that He sent His angels to have charge over me today and everyday of my life.

No comments: