Today would have been my brother's 46th birthday had he survived cancer. Instead, he's spending his birthday in heaven with Jesus and my grandparents. But, we here on earth still miss him very much. Mama gave me instructions to go place flowers on his grave. I don't usually go to the cemetery because I remember him more riding in the car with me as I was taking him back and forth to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola for chemo treatments. I know that only his body is in the grave; his spirit is in heaven. That's why I don't like cemeteries. But, I did as my mother wished and picked out some fall flowers to place on his grave. I pulled a few weeds and decided that I need to go back when it gets cooler and clean up the gravesite. The old, faded flowers need to be thrown away.
Tabitha called and invited me to come to the skating rink to spend time with her, Chad, Trent and Hope. So, since I didn't have anything else to do, I went. It was fun remembering when I used to skate. I even used to teach skating to the little ones on Saturday mornings at the old Silver Circle Skating Rink. I spent most Friday and Saturday nights there, plus most Saturday mornings. I spent so much time there that Mr. Sterritt, the owner, came to Gulf Power and asked me to skate in the Christmas Parade in 1970. I told him I couldn't - that I was getting married that night. He said "All the better; you can skate in your wedding dress." I said "No way. I've got a honeymoon that I've been waiting all my life for." Would you believe he came back three times and tried to talk me into skating? Believe me, the wedding and honeymoon won out!
Hope looked so cute out there trying to skate. Trent and his friend Avery would skate and fall and skate and fall. I imagine they both have bruises all over their bodies tonight. Chad was skating like I used to - full speed ahead. I quit years ago when I fell racing. Someone had spilled red hots on the corner and I hit them and fell on my left knee, then on my head. Had water on my knee for over a year, but never would go to the doctor. Back then I was afraid of needles. But, when God healed my ankle, He also healed my knee and I've never had any problems with it since. It used to just give out on me and I'd fall. Not anymore. When God performs a miracle, He goes all the way. Tiffany and Kaitlyn came and skated a little while. We all left around 4:00.
I came home and cleaned off the ottoman in the living room. Tabitha had cleaned out the utility room and placed some stuff on the ottoman for me to go through. After I finished, I fell asleep sitting up on the couch. Guess I was wore out. Probably more emotionally than physically. It upset me more at the cemetery than I thought it would.
So, Happy Birthday, Earl. I'll see you again someday. You can count on that.
And, goodnight all. I've got some photos to upload and eventually go to bed. Goodnight and God Bless................
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment