Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mid-Week Retirement Party

Got to work and had all kinds of problems. But, I decided not to get upset. I laughed throughout the phone conversations with supervisors and the manager. I even got them to laughing about the whole deal. It seems we are going to have to deduct one hour of overtime for the crews that went to help out with restoration from Hurricane Gustav. Yes, it is a bit of a pain for me, but like I told my manager "It's all a part of the job. I know how to do it and I can take care of this without any problems. Except the guys are going to be upset about losing the money from that hour of double-time overtime. And I'm going to tell them to call you!" He laughed. I don't think he knows how to take me yet. He is learning that I'm very easy to get along with and I'll help in any way that I can.

Tabitha stopped by after dropping Hope off at school. She sat and made out her grocery list and we decided to do a little Christmas shopping this weekend. A lot of stores are having great sales.

After lunch, we had a retirement party for Phillip Murphy. He is retiring after 31 years of service. Yes, Betty and I processed his employment papers. It seems everybody we hired is now retiring. Phillip and I graduated together, so I've known him about 40 years. He's 56 and still surfing. He said he surfed for four hours this morning and would probably go back after the party. The Gulf is stirred up because of Hurricane Ike, so the surfers are out in mass. We had a good party for him.

Talked to Mama. She is getting tired of the nursing home. She doesn't like the physical therapy. She said they expect too much out of her. I told her that's what physical therapists do - they expect more and they usually get you to the point that you didn't think you could ever do. I told her to just grin and bear it and to stop complaining about it. Complaining never does anybody any good - just makes the people around you wish they weren't. I told her if she would just try to do as much as she could that she would be amazed at how much she really can do. I think she is going to do much better when she gets out. Maybe she will stop just laying around all day.

Worked till 5:15, then came home, brushed my teeth, kissed Vance and went to church. Pastor Sammy is still recuperating from ankle surgery, so our other Pastor Sammy preached. It was totally different from any service I've ever been in. He used worship songs to help preach his message. He would talk, play a song and we'd worship, then he'd talk about the song and go on to another one. I got such a blessing out of that. It felt like God was pouring out His love over me like rain. I cried, I worshiped and I just felt so good when the service ended. I really didn't want to leave. I just wanted to soak up that feeling of peace that I was feeling. A feeling of deep love from God. It was good.

Came home and Vance went to bed. He always waits up to make sure I get home okay. Such a sweetheart. I ate my supper and did my arm exercises. Didn't try to do any pushups tonight. My exhausted. Afraid I would fall flat on my face. :o)

Now, it's time for me to go to bed. So, be blessed the rest of the week. Let's remember to pray for the people who are in the path of Hurricane Ike.

Goodnight and God bless.............

No comments: