Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Quest Has Begun

It was a much better day at work today. Mainly because I used the old timekeeping system, which is soooooo much faster. I'd probably still be there if I had used the new system. I can see that I will probably be working overtime a lot when we switch to the new system and do away with the old. Oh well, a little extra money never hurt anybody.

I finished my timesheets and was able to take 1 1/2 hour vacation this afternoon. That leaves one day that I will be taking on Monday. Then, I start all over again next week with five weeks vacation. Hopefully, I won't have to use too many for doctor's appointments for Daddy. He's doing so much better. Vance was home when I got here. He'd gotten off early, too. He's off all next week. I worked a little in the computer room and dining room before Michelle called to let us know they were getting close.

Vance, Michelle and Fox are here! We met them at Appleby's for supper. We waited for over an hour for our food. People with other servers were coming, eating and leaving before we ever got served. She did serve Fox his about 20-30 minutes before we got ours. He was so good. He kept looking over at me and saying "Nonna" and just smiling. I love it. He talks so plain and says so many words. He kept talking to the people around us. One little old grandmother stopped and talked to him on her way out.

Vance and Michelle took Fox over to Skip and Brenda's where they are staying the night. Vance said he'd put him to bed, so Michelle came back over to the house and we got started. We walked around in each room so she could get an idea of what I wanted to do in that room. She came up with some great ideas about organizing. Looks like we are going to be getting rid of the big desk and using my old little desk in the dining room for my computer. That will help me not to clutter it up. The desk I'm using right now is 3'x6'. I can put a lot of stuff on top of that. It's a really nice desk, but I'm not as upset about getting rid of it as I thought I would be. As a matter of fact, I'm not upset at all.

In Vance's closet, there were a lot of coats that we aren't wearing. We are going to install a closet organizer in that closet. After Michelle left, I packed up a box full of coats and old shirts that Vance doesn't wear. They will go to the Mission House so somebody that really needs them can have them without having to pay for them.

In the kitchen, we went through the cabinets and decided I needed to get rid of a lot of dishes that we aren't using. I have my grandmother's amber depression glasses that I hardly ever use (cause they don't hold much). I was keeping them because they are old and might be worth something some day and they used to belong to my grandmother. She gave them to me for a wedding present. That means I've had them 37 years. But, you know what? I really don't need them. So, off to a consignment shop they will go. I might be able to get some money out the stuff I've been holding onto. I have probably 20 coffee cups/mugs. Michelle asked if I could get by with four, so I'm picking out four for home and one to take to work. The rest will go to a consignment shop. My round canisters will have to go. Round things take up more room than square ones. While we were standing there talking, Michelle was able to throw away a lot of old stuff and we have about 8 round containers to wash and take to a consignment shop. Already the counter space is looking better.

We found about 20 or so record albums in a cabinet in the living room. We don't have a record player, so they will go to a used record store. I'm not even going to miss them since I haven't heard them in years. We have a built-in window seat/bookcases/under-seat cabinets across the back wall. Of course, it's all cluttered with books, knick-knacks and who knows what in the cabinets. That's where we are going to put all the pictures and albums. Loose pictures will go in decorative boxes. I'm getting excited about the organization. So far, I haven't gotten upset about any of the suggestions. I'm learning to let it go.

Okay, it's after midnight, so I've probably got at least another hour that I can do something. Maybe I'll go measure some spaces so we'll know what furniture can work where. If I'm brave enough, I may post some before/after pictures in the next few days. Maybe.....just the after.

I better get busy. I guess I should try to get some sleep. It's going to be a big day tomorrow.

Goodnight and God bless................

No comments: