Saturday, July 15, 2006

TGIF

Gallivanting Photographer
Well, another week has just flown by. Today was a very busy day - timesheet close-out. Went down to Kim's office to pick up timesheets from my boss (who just happens to be younger than the number of years I've been at Gulf Power). Yesterday was my 36th anniversary with Gulf and my boss was born the year after I started working. That makes me feel old! Nope, I'm not gonna allow that to put a damper on things. I feel younger than him sometimes, because he is just so serious. You gotta have some humor in your life. He just doesn't know how to take Kim and me. He overhears our conversations every morning and he just shakes his head. We can laugh about anything and I think he thinks we are a little touched in the head.

I was going to have a cup of coffee this morning since I knew I'd be stuck at my computer for several hours. Thought a jolt of caffeine would help me cope. I had to make a new pot, so I started it and walked away to talk to Kim. When I went back, the pot had overflowed all over the counter. It's been doing that a lot lately, but nobody bothered to tell me. So, before I could ever fix me a cup, I had to clean the counter. What a mess! It was worth it though; the coffee did it's job.

At lunch, I had to deliver VEMMA to my friend, Marsha. Right before I left, John calls Kim and I on the radio and invites us to meet some of the guys at Big Mama's. Well, Kim and I had just been talking about how hungry we were and that we wanted "real food" not "fast food." Let me tell you, Big Mama's serves fine Southern cooking. We told John to hold us a place and I took off to make my delivery. I made it to Big Mama's in record time and had country-fried steak and gravy, collards, mashed potatoes and to top it off - peach cobbler for dessert. It was soooo good! But, I can't do that too often. It's way too much food. John wouldn't let me and Kim pay. That was so nice of him. Our guys are a great group to work with. They treat us with such respect. They all know we are Christians and they never speak out of turn around us. They really watch their language. Over the years, I have seen the majority of them turn to Christ. It has been so awesome to get to be a part of their conversion. Even before they became Christians, they would ask us to pray for them whenever they were going through things. I know that's why God placed me there and has kept me there all these years.

My father-in-law called and told me he got a new computer and asked if I could come over and help him hook it up. Me??? Of all the people in the world, he asked me? I really don't know that much about computers, but I have been able to hook my computers, printers, etc. up by myself. I guess that qualified me in his eyes. He got a nice Toshiba laptop. I had never even touched one before. He had to show me how to manuever the mouse. Took a while before I became comfortable. But, I checked it out and everything was already installed. We just couldn't get the internet to work. It kept telling us we didn't have a connection, but there is only one cord and one way to hook up that cord, so it should have worked. Not to worry, he is having BellSouth come on Monday to hook him up to DSL anyway. They will be able to get him up and running. I had a very nice visit with them. Mac seems to be recovering nicely from his bout with cancer. I believe the VEMMA has helped him regain energy. He was getting around a whole lot faster than the last time I saw him - which was last month at Keyan's 1st birthday party. I stayed over there a couple of hours, then came home.

Vance stayed home from work today, cause his toe was bothering him. He was feeling much better by the time I got home. He did say that he wouldn't be playing golf tomorrow, though. (His toe must really hurt to keep him from playing golf.) I tried to talk him into going with Trent and me to see "Cars". He wasn't interested. That's his loss. Trent called me today and said "Nonna, can Hope go with us to the movie tomorrow?" I said, "Can she sit still for the whole movie? If not, we will have to get up and leave and not be able to see the movie." (I'm not about to leave a 7 year old alone in a movie theatre.) He said "I guess that's a no then. Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." I hate that we can't take Hope, too. But, she's not one to sit still for very long. And like I said, I'm not going to walk out of the movie and leave Trent in there by himself. Too much could happen to him. But, I will be keeping Hope in two weeks while Chad, Tabitha and Trent go to Shipwreck Island. Around 2:00, I'll take her out there and they can all be together a couple more hours. If she was out there all day, she would be cooked. Me, I'm so pale, it only takes about 15 minutes for me to cook. If I stayed out all day (even with sunscreen) I get blisters. I've learned my limitations and I'm actually better off for it. I look younger than people 15 years younger than me who have stayed out in the sun or been to tanning beds. I like having people tell me that I don't look old enough to be Vance's mother or that I must have started working when I was a youngster.

Tonight, I went to all the blogs that are listed on Michelle's website. It was so nice getting to know their friends (some of whom I have met). I photographed the Kagy wedding and it was a pleasure seeing little Aiden. It just doesn't seem that long ago when they were getting married. Time sure flies. All those beautiful babies that they all have and pretty soon Vance and Michelle will have their firstborn to be mixed in with all the rest. They have such a wonderful network of friends. I know they will be well taken care of if they ever need anything.

God is so good. I have really been trying to draw closer to Him lately. I'm close, but you know how you just want to get as close to Him as you can? To know His heart. To be able to hear Him speak to you in that still small voice. I just want to do more for Him.

I had decided not to photograph anymore weddings, because it is such a hassle. It's very nerve wracking and time consuming. Well, you know what? God gave me that talent and I think He expects me to use it. I have never really charged much and usually end up losing money cause I take way too many pictures. In the last few years, God has impressed upon me to not charge at all. I've probably done half a dozen weddings for free before I started having medical problems. Then, I would not accept a job, because I was so afraid I'd have the dizziness and vomiting attacks and there would be no one to do the photos. It's been a year since I've had an attack (doctors say it's aura migraines - without pain), so I've started taking pictures again. A couple in our church asked me to do theirs, but I said no, cause we were planning to give my cousin a 50th birthday party. That fell through and at their shower they said they still didn't have a photographer. Well, guess who stepped up and said "I'll do it." I haven't even used my 35mm camera in several months. My Nikon quit working, so I've only got my Canon. It's a good camera and I just pray that it's working properly. I will put in new batteries. This wedding is going to be on the beach. I've never taken one on the beach, but I've always wanted to. (God knew that, didn't He?) I'll also take along my Sony digital and take some with it. The wedding is tomorrow afternoon.

As you can see, I'm going to be very busy tomorrow, so I guess I better get my beauty sleep. Good night all, and God Bless!!!
Pat
As

No comments: